Saturday 5 February 2022

COWS ON PARADE

 February is a bit of a dismal month here, with storms, high winds, icy rain, if not snow. So I thought I would present a post on a lighter note with a parade of Cows in Scotland, and further afield.  

"I'm Showing Off my Horns"


 

 "I'm Hungry"

 
We were staying in a self catering cottage at Fionnphort on the far west  of the Isle of Mull, just across from Iona, and the highland cattle roamed freely  around the small village - one shop, one pub, one seafood cabin and the ferry office.  Here one hungry cow decided to take a nibble from the garden of our cottage, so I dashed out to take a photograph.


"I've walked far enough - I'm having a rest."


 
 
I'm Little and Lonely!"
 
 

This young cow stood motionless at the side of the road, very happy to pose for the visitors walking down to the ferry across to Iona.

And if you don't come across the  real thing, look out for a shop sign. 

 

 

 ******************

Cows on the Alpine Meadows in the Austrian Tyrol  - Looking So Gentle



****************

CowParade is the largest and most successful public art event in the world.  staged in 80+ worldwide since 1999.  The painted cows are displayed in  city centres  to attract tourists and shoppers.  We came across them when on a short break in Warsaw and Prague. 



To end on a colourful note to brighten these grey days: 

T.

 ***************


Copyright © 2022 · Susan Donaldson.  All Rights Reserved

7 comments:

  1. Scotland's shaggy cows are so cute. We saw a fair share of them while touring Scotland's Highlands & Western Isles. Love that multi-color cow on display, and the one painted with the city landscape was rather clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don’t see long-haired cows around here, just longhorn cattle. Yours brightened my cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine shaggy cows doing well in our North Carolina mountains though they might offend the bears. A house in my neighborhood has two life-size metal sculptures of cattle. Not as colorful as your last example but with a rusty steel patina. They were realistic enough to startle my dog when we first met them. Lately I've formed a daydream of putting a similar sculpture of a dinosaur or giant cat in the front garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind comments. Highland Cattle are such a “must photograph” animal and go along with heather, shortbread, whisky, kilts and tartan as a recognized image of Scotland - and who can resist them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see your cows, and just your post...here at SS. I missed it earlier this week! What are we going to do with SS if Alan has dropped the mike?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well at least the highland cattle are dressed for the weather... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos of cows on parade! My early childhood was spent on a farm, and we loved when the farm next door rotated their cows near our fence so we could feed them grass through the fence. Best cow statuary I have seen was in Kansas City -- beef country -- standing oddly on top of a tall classical column.

    ReplyDelete

I very much look forward to reading your comment. Thank You.

BRIDGES OVER RIVERS AND CENTURIES

Here I am taking you on  a journey over bridges, spanning over two centuries  in the Scottish Borders   - from the 18th century to the pres...